Pie from the Midget Kitchen

I decided to make a pie yesterday! It was a spur of the moment decision. Southwestern has a free food line that the campus provides for their starving students. What SWBTS does is purchase food that is close to expiring at a very low cost and then hands it out to their students for free! Well, us being starving students along with about 100-150 other starving students arrive at the on campus gym at 12:00 every Tuesday and receive many goodies such as wonderful whole wheat bread, canned goods, rice, English muffins, baby food (for those with children of course), frozen pizzas, cereal, etc. It is so much fun.


Well, one of the last times I went to the food line, I grabbed peach pie filling. Now, as a for warning, this is about as sugary of a dessert as you can get. And proudly, we have still only eaten about 1/4 of the pie. We are good at saying "no" :) I googled a pie crust recipe and with some butter, flour and water I made a pie crust. Dumped in the filling and then skillfully weaved the top crust and added some sugar to the surface as my Mawmaw Burris always taught and BAM!! I have a peach pie. It was pretty fun and easy, you should try it. Although, it is pretty bad for you, it is really worth it :) It is defiantly not Mawmaw's rubarb pie, nothing can match that pie. I mean a can could never make a pie like Lillian, but it was fun to think that I was putting into practice what she taught me! I love my grandmother!

0 comments:

Post a Comment