Here I stand, I will not recant! May God help me, Amen.

Today we went to the first service at the church my parents attend and I went to in high school. I saw just a few people that I knew when I lived here and they all met and loved Will. It was nice to be back there and see some people that are still left from my days here. We left immediately from church, went by base and had sandwiches made at the commissary. We ate in the car on our way to Worms.

Worms is most famous for it's Cathedral in the center of town and the partial history of the Martin Luther story. Here, in Worms, Martin Luther stood before the Diet of Worms and when asked to verbally reject his theology, he placed his hand on a Bible and said, "Here I stand! (referring the truth of the scripture) I will not recant, may God help me. Amen." When he left the meeting place there was a price for Martin Luther's head, he was now an outlaw.

Will and I replaying the account of Luther and the Diet of Worms, where it really took place!

Worms also has a large Jewish population and always had. Worms has the oldest Jewish cemetary or friedhof in Europe. It dates back to 900 a.d. Lucky, it was undistrubed during WWII, before or after. We also went to the synagoge where Will wore a Yamaka a for the first time. Ever man in a synagoge must wear one. We also sat in the Moses seat (Emma and Rachel should remember that) and saw the cleansing baths all around the synagoge. Throughout the day we were grateful to the reformers and the roots of our faith in the Jewish religion.

At the cemetary

People write out prayers and leave it on the tombstones of famous Rabbi


Will in his Yamaka, we would be cute Jews :)


Sitting in the Moses seat next to the Synagoge

Hopefully you enjoy these pictures of our FULL day, we couldn't be more tired. We leave for Paris tomorrow, I might be able to blog there if not it will be wednesday or thrusday.

P.S. European drivers, crazy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment